|FEDERAL BENEFITS FOR VETERANS and
STATE OF OREGON BENEFITS FOR VETERANS
YOUR VETERAN BENEFITS ···
ALL BENEFITS MUST BE APPLIED FOR
As a veteran, you have certain benefits you earned as
a result of your service. Survivors and dependents of
veterans may also have benefits available; however,
these benefits are there for you only if you apply for
Because the laws covering veterans' benefits are very
complex, you are urged to get help in applying for
them. The necessity for personal assistance to
veterans in filing and pursuing claims results from the
legal principle that NO veterans' benefits are awarded
VETERANS' BENEFITS CHECKLIST
FEDERAL BENEFITS FOR VETERANS:
* COMPENSATION: Monthly payments for
service-incurred or service aggravated disabilities.
Military retirees should apply and choose the greater
* PENSION: Monthly benefits with rates according to
other income, for disabilities not due to military service.
* HOUSEBOUND and A&A: Special additional benefits for
seriously disabled pensioners and those requiring
nursing home care or special care at home.
* OUTPATIENT TREATMENT: Doctor's services and
medicines at federal VA expense for veterans rated
10% - 100% service-connected disabled. Other veterans
who are enrolled for VA health care will be billed by the
VA for a co-payment.
* DEPENDENTS' MEDICAL: Spouses and children of 100%
service-connected disabled veterans entitled to
doctor, medicine, and hospital benefits.
* HOSPITAL CARE: Priority for service-connected
disabled veterans entitled to doctor, medicine, and
hospital benefits. Other veterans who are enrolled for
VA health care will be billed by the VA for a co-payment.
* DOMICILIARY CARE: Care and rehabilitation programs
for unemployable disabled veterans whose disabilities
do not prevent some self care.
* VETERANS' EDUCATION: College, vocational school,
apprenticeship, monthly GI Bill benefits, or the special
vocational rehabilitation program for disabled veterans.
* DEPENDENTS' EDUCATION: Benefits for spouses and
children of veterans of certain 100% service-disabled
veterans and surviving spouses and children of
veterans who died while on active duty for college or
* GI INSURANCE: Special GI insurance for
service-disabled veterans Also, conversion,
beneficiary changes, policy loans, dividends, and new
* GI LOANS: Guaranteed or direct home loans with low
down payments for World War II and later veterans,
also, applies to mobile homes. There is no deadline for
* EMPLOYMENT: The federal Uniformed Services
Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
essentially offers departing soldiers a trade off; in
return for defending their country, they will be assured
jobs at their companies when they return from service.
STATE OF OREGON BENEFITS FOR VETERANS
* OREGON VETERANS' HOME: THE DALLES, OREGON -
The purpose of this facility is to provide a home for
Oregon veterans who have honorably served our
county and are now in need of nursing home and/or
Alzheimer's Disease care. Toll free information number
* STATE VETERANS LOANS: Loans for the acquisition of
homes and home improvements to qualified Oregon
veterans may be available, contact ODVA for more
information. Toll free information number
* STATE EDUCATIONAL AID: Up to $200 per semester to
qualified veterans (see pamphlet 431-M).
* PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION: Exemptions of a portion
of the value from properly tax for veterans with
disabilities of 40% or more.
* GAME LICENSES: Free permanent hunting and angling
licenses to veterans disabled 25% or more.
* REEMPLOYMENT RIGHTS: Entitlement to old job,
seniority, and pay with accrued status upon release
from service. Enforced under Federal Statutes.
* PUBLIC EMPLOYMENT: Veterans' preference in public
employment. Additional preference for disabled
* CONSERVATORSHIP: Estate management for certain
veterans and dependents (See pamphlet 432-M).
* RECORDS: Help in obtaining free certified copies of
public records of marriage, death, divorce, and birth
for claims purposes.
* AUTO LICENSE REGISTRATION: One-time registration
fee for motor vehicle registration for certain seriously
* VETERAN LICENSE PLATES: Former POWs, members of
the active Oregon National Guard and certain veteran
service organization names are available on license
* AGENT ORANGE: Toll free information number
* DIC: Dependency and Indemnity Compensation
payable to surviving spouses, children, and dependent
parents for service-connected death.
* DEATH PENSION: Monthly benefits to surviving
spouses and children for death not service-connected.
* AID and ATTENDANCE: Additional benefits to
dependents requiring nursing home care or special
care at home.
* SURVIVORS' MEDICAL: Entitlement to medical care for
surviving spouses and children of veterans who died
of service-connected causes, if the survivors are not
eligible for CHAMPUS.
* EDUCATION BENEFITS: Benefits for surviving spouses
and children of veterans who died while on active duty,
died of service disabilities, or are rated 100% disabled.
* HOME LOANS: Federal loans to surviving spouses of
veterans who died of service-connected disabilities.
State loans to unremarried surviving spouses of
eligible veterans who died in service or were POW or
* BURIAL BENEFITS: $300 burial allowance (if receiving
or entitled to receive federal DVA benefits at time of
death), burial flag, grave marker and, if desired, burial
in a national cemetery. Additional $150 if burial is in a
private cemetery. $1500 burial allowance if death was
due to service-connected causes. Spouse/child is
eligible for national cemetery burial, if veteran is
* INSURANCE CLAIMS: Government life insurance.
Mortgage insurance benefits for borrowers under the
state veterans' loan program.
* PROPERTY TAX EXEMPTION: Exemption of a portion of
the value from property tax for surviving spouses of
deceased wartime veterans.
* EMPLOYMENT: Preference for surviving spouses of
service-disabled veterans in federal employment.
* SOCIAL SECURITY: Possible increase in benefits for
survivors, due to service credits. Also, supplemental
benefits for low-income persons.
* PUBLIC RECORDS: Help in obtaining copies of records
necessary for veterans' benefits and claims.
|Call Todd Hammond Today